+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak

Thanks

Default 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak

I just purchased in Janaury a 1977 Aspen R/T. Bought it in PA from the second owner. It only has 36.738 miles on it. I put in the registry on the forum. Waiting for spring to get to it. Will try to post some pictures later. It was stored in an unheated dirt floor garage for the last 20 years. It was never started since stored. I trailered it home and eventually got it started with just starting fluid. She still had some gas in it and it ran a little while on that but not very well. Dumped in some fresh gas and chemtool carb cleaner and she runs pretty good. No smoke or noises. The a/c even works, how well I won't know until spring. Will need to rebuild the Carb as it stays up on fast idle and stumble when you try to accelerate.

She is Black Sunfire Metallic with a gorgeous black interor with buckets and console. Only a small rip in a seam in the drivers seat..It is a 318 2bbl with an automatic. Just not sure which tranny and axle yet as there is too much snow right now to look. Floors look Completely solid as it was undercoated since new. One front fender was replaced under warranty and the other now has some rust. I have 2 NOS fenders I bought last week for $75 each. I also have picked up all brand new calipers and a master cylinder and wheel cylinders to do the brakes. The rear quarters are solid except behind the rear wheel. The passenger needs to be replaced as it was hit at one time and badly repaired and is completely rusted out. All electronics work except the horn and the clock. I am going to get a new Steering wheel anyway as I don't like the plain one in there now, so that should take care of the horn.

It has 14" rallyes on it. It is missing some fender flares and the front spoiler. Anyone know where to get the flares. I can get the spoiler form FPAP.

Thanks

kevin

Thanks

Hi Kevin welcome. Sounds like you bought a keeper, getting harder to find a low mileage Aspen or Volare unless its a 4-door some elderly person had.
    Transmission is probably a beefier 904 called the A998, rear-end is more than likely an 8 1/4"
    Ive heard good things about the FPAP front spoiler. A company called MAS used to sell the flares but I dont know whatever happened to them, they took their website down.

Thanks

I have to try to get some pictures up. Also now that the snow is melted I should be able to get it back in the Driveway and get her running so I can register it. First thing is to get the brakes done. I have all rebuilt calipers, wheel cylnders, master cylinder and hoses to put on. I want to make sure I can stop before I try to shake out what else needs to be done. I should then be able to figure out exactly what trans and rear I have.

I know showcar has the flares, but I see on here people have had trouble with them and they want over $300 for all 6 delivered. I think I will wait till I go to Carlisle and see what they have and keep my eye out on ebay and craigslist too. I am surprised FPAP doesn't have them as they look pretty simple to make. Body work will be a little later after I clean my garage out, so I don't kneed them right away. I do need to pull out the interior as it is a little musty after sitting for 20 years.

Do any of you know did the cars come with some kind of sealant under the carpets? I have the fold down seats and under the carpet in the trunk and under the back seat there is some kind of silver gray coating that looks like it came from the factory. Never saw that on other cars.

As I progress I will post some pictures.

Kevin

Thanks

The R/T should have an 8.25" standard. The 318 should have a 998 standard but it may be a 999 or 727. (think that was the HD 904 code) D36 was 727 HD later.

Thanks

I decoded the fender tag and my trans is a D32, which usually just says torqueflite. The original sales slip I have of the car ( see attached) lists it as a D34 Torqueflite. Looking from the side of the car without lifting it I can't tell the shape of the pan as of yet. same with the Rear end. It looks oval like a 8.25, but not sure. The axle is supposed to have a tag on it, Right? I don't see any codes on the fender tags that say what the rear is.

I took a better look at my Passenger door that is in rough shape and see that the skin was replaced when it was hit (which I was aware of). Does anyone know if someone makes the skin for the doors as the rest of the door is solid. Otherwise I may try to weld new sheet metal in place. I know Jim has a replacement door as he sent me info. I also found one within an hours drive from me, but it is not rust free. Both on the high side right now in terms of cash, as I need to get the car on the road first before I invest. I figure I might give it a go on welding first. There are about 10 junk yards that have multiple doors available, last count about 2 weeks ago was about 15 doors still available. The problem is the shipping cost. I figure if I can get the car running and get rid of the rust to stop it from spreading I should be able to chip away at it little by little. And if the welding doesn't work out, I will just have to buy a door.

Right now it is pretty much going to be stock. The exhaust is still "solid" for inspection. Mainly the things I am going to change eventually are the intake, carb and exhaust, will do Duals as I saw done on a couple websites.. Interior I will be adding a tach, oil pressure guage and a new stereo.

When the body work is done it will need a repaint, new stripes and the flares. It will look stock on the outside unless I decide to try to do either a shaker hood or an air grabber style of hood. Lets see how the rest goes first. Out of necessity I may need to swap out the rims from the current 14" rallye's to something bigger. Just looking around I see it is getting difficult to get 14' tires. Most places don't stock performance 14's anymore and it looks like 15s aren't far behind. I am not a fan of the 18s and 20s, I think the most I would go is 16in rims.
    Right now it has 20 something year old tires on it that look great. No dry rot at all, probably because it was stored indoors. I will have to take it easy with them for now until I get some new rubber.

What has anyone done on the interior Chromed plastic. Mine is peeling off of eveything. Have you guys just painted it or what?

I also attached a picture of the car when I was towing it home. Thats me and the previous owner.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20545_1207748275379_1278866714_2492921_1103230_s.jpg‎  
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 77RTNJ; 02-24-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: picture did not take

Thanks

5 bolts on top, 5 bolts on bottom in an oval pattern on the back is an 8.25".

Thanks

Thanks, I do know about the 10 bolts and the oval, just can't get a good look at it due to the snow and some saggy springs. I originally was hoping the paperwork and what I could see of it had it at an 8.25. I should know hopefully in about a week as I will be moving the car to make it accessible to look at. Right now it is sitting on the side of my house behind the fence which is blocked by snow. I am hoping to get her out before the next snow fall tomorrow. I am itching to get it on the road to sort everything out. I also know I have a clunk when I shift it into gear. Hopefully it is just a u-joint.

Kevin

Thanks

Hello and welcome! Looks like an excellent purchase. For some reason the attached picture isnt clickable, you may have to re-upload it. The D32 is the A998 transmission which is pretty common behind a 318 of this era, a D34 is just called a Standard Duty Automatic...I imagine its basically the same thing as an A998.
    The chromed plastic didnt hold up to well, every Aspen/Volare i've had they are cracked and peeling. Not sure what to do to restore them
    The sealant under the carpet is common, they gooped it up along the spot welds on the floor-pan so it wouldnt rust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axle.jpg‎  

Thanks

Angry

Well i got underneath the car and I have the 7.25 rear not the 8.25, even though it is a 318 R/T Superpak.
    I guess it is because it has an automatic. I still am not sure what tranny I have. Are there any markings on the tranny to tell what it is?

I am really mad at myself because I broke my grille. I was leaning against the radiator support and slipped and wiped out my grille on the passenger side from top to bottom. I started to epoxy some of it back together to see if i can get it all together. It is like a jig saw puzzle. I knew the grille was fragile because it was already cracked in some spots. I said to myself about a week ago that i should probably take it off, but I got lazy and never did. I found one on ebay that I might bid on and I know no one makes a replacement. I was wondering if anyone has done something custom and what it looks like.

thanks

Kevin

Thanks

Default Grills

I did the same thing you did to your grill. I super glued mine and it looks okay. I then took some bondo and filled in the cracks,sanded and then painted and it looks pretty good.I need the R/T for the grill but they are far and few out there and if you find them they are spendy.

My 76 R/T is a Super Pak and a 318/4 speed and it has the small rearend also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast